These instructions are intended to promote consistent and predictable procedures by the time trial marshals at the Lochside Drive/Mt. Newton Cross Road and Lochside Drive/McTavish Interchange corners, and at the Start/Finish. Corner Marshals shall:
- Wear a traffic safety vest and carry a STOP/SLOW sign.
- Carry a cellular telephone and exchange cell numbers with the Race Director and First Aid Attendant, both located at the Start/Finish, to call for first aid, or to alert the Race Director of emergencies blocking the racecourse. Read the Emergency Response Plan.
Mt. Newton X Road:
- Place bicycle warning signs on Mt. Newton X Road coming out of the Tsawout Reserve to the east of Lochside Drive before the stop sign and on Lochside Drive north of the bus stop, on the sidewalk, just south of the first parking spot, as shown on the map below.
- Place five cones at the corner of Lochside Drive and Mt. Newton X Road on the white line between the bike lane and traffic lane at the “CONE” marks beside the line, as shown on map below.
- If there is a vehicle in the 15-minute loading zone on Mt. Newton X Road just around the corner from Lochside Drive, place a large cone at the left-hand rear corner of the vehicle and alert riders to its presence.
- Place bicycle warning sign on Lochside Drive north of the Lochside Frontage Road at the McTavish Interchange as shown on the map below.
- Place seven cones at the McTavish Interchange and Lochside Drive on the the white line between the bike lane and the roadway at the “CONE” marks beside the white line, approximately as shown on the maps below.
- Remove any debris from the bike lane in the corner (the course is normally cleaned on Tuesday afternoon).
- Stand at the apex of the corner and direct the riders to ride around the corner in the bike lane to the right of all of the cones.
- Not stop motor vehicles, only time trial cyclists and pedestrians.
- Raise the SLOW sign if there is potential danger as the rider approaches the corner. The marshal should call out to pedestrians and other cyclists and point to the oncoming rider to alert them of the rider’s presence.
- Raise the STOP sign if there is imminent danger to the riders.
- Wave the rider through the corner if there is no potential danger.
- Report violations of the time trial rules by reporting the rider’s name or number to the Race Director or timekeeper. These include:
- Crossing the centreline of the roadway.
- Not staying to the right of all of the cones in the corners. Riding to the left of a cone is a violation, crossing the white line between cones is not.
- Attempting to pass another cyclist in the corner coned areas.
- Disobeying the signals of the marshal to slow or stop.
- Impolite behaviour towards motorists, pedestrians, cyclists or marshals.
- Passing a BC Transit bus when the bus is signalling to move left into the traffic lane.
Equipment checklist for each corner:
- Safety vest
- SLOW/STOP sign
- Bicycle warning signs (1 for McTavish and 2 for Mt. Newton X)
- Five or seven medium-sized traffic cones, plus one large cone for Mt. Newton X Road corner.
- Cellular telephone (exchange cell numbers with Race Director & First Aid Attendant)
- Start list and pen
Start/Finish at Lochside Drive at McTavish Interchange:
- Marshals shall wear a traffic safety vest and obtain a copy of the rider start list from the timer.
- The marshal on the west side of Lochside adjacent to the timer shall:
- Keep a corridor open for pedestrians and recreational riders on the sidewalk to the bus stop and the pedestrian/bicycle overpass.
- Control the crosswalk in concert with the east side marshal.
- Organize riders to start as per the start list, calling for missing riders, in concert with the east side marshal.
- Call out the numbers of passing racers to the timer.
- The marshal on the east side of Lochside across from the timer shall:
- Use a megaphone to alert the timer and everyone at the Start/Finish of approaching racers as they round the hairpin bend at McTavish with a loud “Rider(s) Up!”
- Use the megaphone to amplify the call for missing starting riders.
- Control the crosswalk in concert with the west side marshal.
Tuesday Time Trial Map: Tuesday Time Trial Map – 2019
Mt. Newton X Road Map: Mt. Newton X Corner-2022a
McTavish Map: McTavish Corner-2022
May the wind always be at your back.